District administration is monitoring the Coronavirus outbreak in China and has been in contact with the Illinois Department of Public Health to identify any preventative measures we can put in place to protect our students and staff.
- The Illinois Department of Public Health has published this Frequently Asked Questions to explain what the virus is, how it is spread, who is at risk, and how to protect yourself from the virus. It explains the risk to the general public for contracting this virus is low, while travelers to and from certain areas of the world may be at an increased risk.
- There is also a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Frequently Asked Questions document that specifically addresses concerns about children and the virus. It explains that so far there is no evidence that children are more susceptible to the virus than the general population.
- The National Association of School Nurses and National Association of Psychologists have published this Talking to Children About COVID-19 (Coronavirus) resource for parents. It provides some talking points and guidance to use when talking to children about the outbreak.
Currently IDPH does not have additional recommendations for this virus above and beyond the measures we have in place to prevent the spread of influenza, but we will continue to work closely with them as they learn more about the virus and potentially have additional recommendations.
As always, we continue to follow CDC recommendations to prevent any infection of a respiratory virus, including:
* Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
* Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
* Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
* Stay home when sick.
* Cough or sneeze into an elbow or use a tissue and place immediately in the trash.
* Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
Click Coronavirus FAQ for additional information.
For additional information:
Staff is available on school days during regular school hours.
Dr. James Harazin
Fridays 7:30-8:30am NC 12Tuesdays 7:30-8:30am SC A104