The issuance of work permits by Lyons Township High School is a service we provide students under the age of sixteen who have been hired for employment. Procedures for obtaining work permits are determined by the Illinois Department of Labor.
To apply for a work permit, Students/families will provide to do the following:
- Obtain a letter (MUST BE ON LETTERHEAD) from your employer that is signed and dated, stating the type of work and approximate number of hours per week you will be working. Students under the age of 16 may not work more than 3 hours per day on a school day and 8 hours on either Saturday or Sunday. When there is a school holiday the student is permitted to work 8 hours on that day. NO STUDENT UNDER 16 MAY WORK BETWEEN 7:00pm and 7:00am FROM LABOR DAY UNTIL JUNE 1, OR BETWEEN 9:00pm AND 7:00am FROM LABOR DAY UNTIL JUNE 1, OR BETWEEN 9:00PM and 7:00am FROM JUNE 1 UNTIL LABOR DAY.
- Obtain a letter of permission from your parent or guardian. The letter must be signed and dated.
- Provide a birth certificate. (Students enrolled at Lyons Township High School do not need to provide this as we have one on file.)
- Obtain a CERTIFICATE OF PHYSICAL FITNESS from the South Campus Main Office or print one here. This form needs to be completed by an MD, DO, APN or PA. Physical forms for work permits cannot be the physical that was provided at the beginning of the year during the enrollment process.
- Students/Families that are requesting work permits for child performers must provide additional documentation. These requirements can be found on the Illinois Department of Labor website.
Work permits will only be processed when all of the required documentation has been provided. Work permit documentation can be brought to the South Campus Office Monday through Friday between 8:00am and 3:00PM, excluding holidays and building closures.
The state of Illinois sends approved work permits to the School. Staff at Lyons Township high school will contact families to let them know they can pick up their work permit. Please allow a minimum of three business days for processing.
Questions regarding work permits can be directed to the South Campus Main Office at 708.579.6500