Purpose: The purpose of the PSAT 8/9 test is:
Who takes the PSAT 8/9?All 9th grade students
- The PSAT 8/9 test is a practice for the SAT, PSAT/NMSQT, and PSAT 10. The PSAT 8/9 provides a preview of these tests.
- According to the College Board website, "the PSAT 8/9 will help students and teachers figure out what needs to be worked on most so that students are ready for college when they graduate from high school".
- For additional information regarding PSAT 8/9, please visit the College Board website at: https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/psat-8-9.
Is the PSAT 8/9 test optional or required?
The PSAT 8/9 test is required for all LTHS freshmen.What areas does the PSAT 8/9 test cover?
The test consists of three multiple choice subtests: reading, writing and language, and math.
- Reading test: One literature passage, one or a pair of passages from either a U.S. founding document or a test in the great global conversation they inspired, a social science selection, and two science passages (55 minutes)
- Writing and Language test: Editing passages (could include arguments or narratives) (30 minutes)
- Math test (Calculator and non-Calculator sections): algebra, problem solving, data analysis (20 minutes-non-calculator; 40 minutes -calculator)
Test Date:Not ApplicableHow do I register for the PSAT 8/9 test?
There is NO separate registration form for the PSAT 8/9 test.What do I do if I missed the PSAT 8/9 test?Not applicable for 2021.
Test Location:The PSAT 8/9 test will be administered at LTHS South Campus. Student test room locations are posted at the main entrance of the school (Time Square), in the Freshmen cafeteria, and near the Music rooms in the "G" hall. Students must report to their testing rooms by 7:45 a.m.What should I bring on test day?Students need to bring their photo ID, #2 non-mechanical pencils, an eraser, and a calculator. STUDENTS WILL NOT BE ADMITTED TO THE TEST WITHOUT THE PHOTO ID.Can I bring a snack?Due to the length of the test, a snack is not necessary Please do not bring a water bottle to the test. There are water fountains available.Can I bring my cell phone?Students may bring a cell phone, however, the phone MUST BE POWERED COMPLETELY OFF DURING TESTING. If a cell phone is activated during testing, the student’s test may be voided.
How do I receive my PSAT 8/9 test scores?Students’ score reports will be accessible online. Students must create an online account at https://studentscores.collegeboard.org/home in order to view their scores. A copy of the student score report will also be mailed to the home in July.For additional information regarding PSAT 8/9, please visit the College Board website: