The name of this organization shall be the LT Community Advisory Council.
The purpose of the Community Advisory Council shall be:
1. To encourage community and parent awareness of the high school and understanding of school problems and needs.
2. To provide for an interchange of ideas among members of the Council and to provide a forum for discussing community concerns with the Lyons Township High School administration and Board of Education.
3. To be available to the Board of Education for the purpose of advice, discussion, and study.
4. To be available to the administration in regard to any issue which they might bring to the Council for consideration.
5. To provide a communication link and voice for all of the stakeholders within the Lyons Township area.ARTICLE IIIMembership
1. The Community Advisory Council shall consist of no less than 60 (sixty), nor more than 70 (seventy) members, comprised of community members, LT students and LT staff and faculty. The total number of members, and the specific numerical representation of each of the above mentioned groups shall be decided within the reasonable discretion of the LTCAC.
2. Members shall be chosen for their genuine interest in community and school affairs. The Community Advisory Council membership shall be representative of all viewpoints of the high school district, including economic, geographic, racial, religious, and age groups.
3. Council members serve two-year terms and may serve a second consecutive two-year term if selected to do so.
4. There shall be no membership fee.
5. An open application process will be used. Membership will be determined by a selection team appointed by the Council Chairpersons. Community Advisory Council members will be approved by the Board of Education (upon recommendation of the Superintendent).
6. Replacements for vacancies may be approved by the Board of Education (see item 5 above) upon notification of vacancy from the Co-Chairpersons. Recommendations to fill vacancies will be determined by Co-Chairpersons.
7. Ex-officio members shall be the Superintendent and members of the professional staff designated by the Superintendent.ARTICLE IVOfficers
The Executive Committee of the Community Advisory Council shall consist of two Co-Chairpersons, the Chair of the Membership Committee, a Student Member, and a Secretary. The Student Member may serve as Secretary.
1. Officers shall be elected by a majority vote at the May meeting.
2. Officers shall be elected for a term of one year, commencing immediately after the annual meeting.
3. The Co-Chairpersons shall be ex-officio members of all committees and shall be responsible for conducting all Council meetings. Meeting agendas will be developed cooperatively by the Executive Committee and Superintendent.
4. The Secretary shall be responsible for completing and distributing minutes of all Council meetings, giving notice of meetings, and handling Council correspondence.
5. The Co-Chairpersons will be responsible for forwarding, all recommendations in writing to the Superintendent and Board of Education.
6. All publicity released by the Community Advisory Council shall be sent by the Executive Committee to the Community Relations Coordinator.ARTICLE VCommittees
1. The Co-Chairpersons may appoint, with the Council's approval, any special or study committee as they deem necessary.
2. The Nominating Committee shall consist of five members. The Nominating Committee shall present its slate of officers at the meeting prior to the May meeting. The election will take place at the May meeting.ARTICLE VIMeetings
1. Meetings of the Advisory Council shall be held September through May, as often as the Executive Committee, with the cooperation of the Superintendent, shall deem necessary to accomplish the purposes of the Community Advisory Council, as stated in these bylaws, but in no event shall have fewer than four meetings.
2. The May meeting shall be established as the annual meeting. The annual meeting shall be a joint meeting with the Board of Education.
3. Special meetings may be called by the Co-Chairpersons of the Council, Superintendent, or President of the Board of Education.
4. One-third of the membership shall constitute a quorum for a meeting.
5. A majority vote of those present shall be necessary to act upon a motion.
6. Attendance at all meetings is necessary to provide adequate input to the Board of Education. Members may be permitted 2 (two) “excused” absences per year. Please contact the co-chairs if you are unable to attend a meeting. The membership committee may ask any member to resign for failure to comply with the attendance policy.ARTICLE VIIParliamentary Authority
The rules contained in the latest edition of Robert's Rules of Order Revised shall govern the Council in all cases to which they are applicable and in which they are not inconsistent with the By-Laws of the organization.
ARTICLE VIIIAmendments to the By Laws
Amendments to the By-Laws may be adopted at any meeting of the Council by a majority of Community Advisory Council members, provided that the amendment shall have been submitted in writing to the members not less than thirty days before the meeting, and that notice of the proposed amendment shall be included in the notice of the meeting. These amendments shall be presented to the Board of Education at its next meeting.
Adopted: September 23, 1998
Amended: April 19, 2000
Approved: July 25, 2001
Amended: January 19, 2005
Amended: September 21, 2005
Amended: October 18, 2006 (LTCAC); Approved December 18, 2006 (Board)
Amended: April 16, 2008 (LTCAC); Approved April 21, 2008 (Board)
Amended: October 17, 2012 (LTCAC); Approved November 19, 2012 (Board)
Amended: May 15, 2013 (LTCAC); Approved May 20, 2013 (Board)